Monday, August 20, 2007

Delicious Defeat

Being new to a sport I care about, nothing could have prepared me for the unexpected outcome of a competition. Experience is everything.

I was challenged to play a set of tennis, and lost 6-1. Although I would have liked to win, it wasn't a big deal for me because I didn't really have anything to lose. But the effect of losing so badly was one of the most emotionally confounding I've ever experienced. In fact, two days later, I'm still not sure how it's going to affect my outlook.

Is it time to set a goal? This can motivate my continued improvement, which will provide more enjoyment the better I play.

Should I just give up? I'm well past my prime, and there will be a limit to how well I can play. If it's not good enough, there's no reason to continue.

Or should I just linger somewhere in between, hitting a ball around with the couple of people who would do so? As with all things, this arrangement will come to an end, so I should enjoy it while I can.

I guess time will tell because the answer will only come after taking things day-by-day. I'll just go with the flow and play if I want, when I can. Now that I've had a small taste of the bad stuff, I'm more experienced than I was, for whatever that's worth.

No comments: