Saturday, May 31, 2008

Possible BIID-related movie

About a year ago, I read a news article about a woman who wanted her legs removed from her body. It was a fascinating first-person account that was removed from the website shortly after I found it. However, I discovered that there are others like her, who have what psychiatrists call BIID (Body Integrity Identity Disorder).

Anyway, I immediately thought that it would be a great subject for a movie. Lo and behold, today I happened upon Quid Pro Quo, to be released on Friday, June 13, 2008... which is the same release date for M. Night Shyamalan's The Happening.

Official site: Quid Pro Quo
Apple trailer site: Quid Pro Quo

3 comments:

Sean said...

A better site for information about BIID is BIID-Info.org

Also, you may wish to follow my multi-author blog about the experience of living with BIID: transabled.org. It is my understanding that Mr. Brook, the director of Quid Pro Quo spent a significant amount of time on my blog before getting his movie going.

Jessica said...

Thanks for the info, Sean. I'm guessing the movie will help raise awareness and perhaps open some minds, although I imagine most people will still judge it as wrong, or whatever. Although I don't share the same need, I support people having a choice about what to do with their own bodies, especially if it will bring them peace.

Sean said...

I hope the movie will indeed raise awareness, though one wonders how the treatment of the topic will make us come across. I don't know. I haven't seen it.

In terms of raising awareness, a recent article in Newsweek might help some, although the comments are disheartening...