Wednesday, June 04, 2008

I'm not surprised

I'm no longer surprised by how wonderfully things work out when you just let them. Nor by the signs along the way that confirm what you experienced was not a coincidence.

Although I like the idea of listing all such examples I have experienced lately, the reason I'm no longer surprised by them is because they have occurred so frequently. Therefore I will simply share the one from today which (so far) seemed the most intricate (from my current perspective).

First, some background. So far, pottery has been the hobby of mine that has "survived" the longest - I was doing it off & on for 10 years. However, I haven't made pottery since my second miscarriage in December 2004. Even though I had my own kick wheel in my basement, I "dropped" it right between firings, so I have bisqueware that has never been glazed. I never even contacted Pauline, the artist/instructor/owner of the studio (where I had pieces fired), to say I wasn't coming back, because I didn't know I wasn't going back. Days went by, then weeks, then months. Then when I saw the new architecture firm sign on the studio storefront window, I knew the it had been sold.

After awhile, I learned of the new Art Center in town, and found out from the website that Pauline was an instructor there. I still didn't contact her as I hadn't returned to making pottery, but I was happy to know she was there. Years went by; a divorce; months went by as I adjusted to life on my own.

A couple months ago, I explained to a new friend, over coffee, that I still have a few remaining items in my ex's house, including my pottery wheel. She suggested that I look for art studios in town that might be looking for wheels to see if I could keep it there, let others use it, and perhaps be able to use the space. I gave her full credit for the idea, and immediately thought of that new art center where Pauline teaches. Yet, I never acted on it.

Since then, it has been in the back of my mind, and every once in awhile, I think of Pauline. Today was such a day when I thought of her.

On my way home from work, traffic was backed up because I left a later than usual. I wanted to pick up some books from the library, and although I had planned on driving home, and then walking to the library (with the book I wanted to return), I instead had an impulse to just stop at the library while traffic was stopped anyway, and the library was on my route. I found the two books I wanted, browsed and picked up a third, checked them out, and as I was walking toward the exit, I saw Pauline.

We talked for a good while, got caught up, and she gave me a couple of names of people whom I might contact to either share studio space or possibly buy my wheel. (I'm not sure what I want to do yet.) And because this was also not her usual library run either, we reveled in the perfection of running into each other, after 3.5 years. But I wasn't surprised. :)

No comments: