Saturday, June 14, 2008

Spirit of the Spider

I'm not quite sure how to describe the significance of this, but I've noticed a prevalence of spiders or representations of spiders in my life lately. Admittedly, my appreciation of insects in general has been rekindled lately by a new friend who pointed out that she has a common interest, and spiders are quite interesting to me. But until today, I didn't notice the pattern of arachno-representation that has occurred subconsciously.

Last month, near the end of my transformational Woman Within Training (I will create a post about that, but for most it will probably be repetitive), we weaved a single web to represent our connectivity to one another. (It was really cool, but I won't go into detail so I don't spoil the fun for anyone else.) Afterward, I decided that my drummer character in my Rock Band video game needed some ink. Despite many designs to choose from, I placed a spider tattoo on her arm.

Since then, I believe it was Wednesday, June 4, I walked to a local restaurant for a yummy pizza to take home, and because a new, local art studio/shop had their doors open late, I browsed while I waited for my hand-tossed goodness. There were many beautiful things in the shop from jewelry, clothes, and furniture, but one thing caught my attention. Yes, a spider.

Two days later, for the town's First Friday event, I met some friends for a bite to eat. Afterwards, I walked them to the studio and had another opportunity to see the spider. I showed it to my friends, and may have had a slight inkling of the idea that I would purchase it, but my mindset lately has been to only spend money on things that were important to me, and this was nonfunctional (even though technically, it is a box that you can put something small in), so I dismissed the thought.

To my surprise, sometime during that following week, I had a fear that someone else would buy the spider. So I decided at that point that if the spider was still in the studio the next time I visited, I would inquire about the price and seriously consider purchasing it.

Over the course of yesterday, I encountered three live spiders. And without any conscious plans to do so, I found myself in the position to visit the studio again last evening, exactly one week after my previous visit. Realizing this opportunity to buy the spider, I shared my excitement with a friend who was accompanying me, as well as my dismay when I learned that it wasn't for sale. After my friend patiently listened to a sales pitch on a piece of jewelry (and stopped listening after hearing the price), the salesperson disclosed that the shop two doors down sells the spiders.

Being late, that shop wasn't open, but after running into some friends this morning for breakfast, we all walked down to the shop and I purchased the spider. And I am happy with my decision.

Anyway, I didn't intend for this to be some boring recount of a trinket purchase - I know I can be long-winded at times. To summarize, I guess I'm just interested to find out what spirit of the spider has to say to me. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, now I understand. Very, very cool, chica. I love it when stuff like that happens in our lives. The spider is speaking to you for some reason. That rocks!!!