Friday, June 13, 2008

Symbol of Summer

There are many things people associate with the summer; the most popular is probably beach-related. Although I love the feeling of sand in my toes and being in and near water, the beach “lifestyle” isn’t really my thing. And sure, there are the sports of the season, but again, not really my thing. This excludes tennis of course, but tennis isn’t a symbol of Summer for me as much as a symbol of non-Winter. :)

When I saw my first firefly of the season yesterday, my mind was immediately filled with memories of summer dusks filled with the songs of the wilderness permeating the heavy, cooling air in that rare and magic time of transition where everything is balanced. At the height of visual contrast where light things are lighter and dark things are darker, exactly between night and day, the rhythms and cycles of life on Earth perpetuate. In honor of the beauty of this magic time, I choose the firefly as my symbol for Summer.

What is your symbol of Summer? If you want to share, feel free to leave a comment.

1 comment:

Joel Monka said...

Hi! Thanks for reading and commenting on my blog, CUUMBAYA! Amusingly, I had just posted a follow-up to the very post you commented on, and then saw your comment! I'll be reading your blog from now on!